Worksop has a long history of producing malt for brewing, with malt-kilns featuring in the town as long ago as 1636.
Around 200 years later malting was flourishing. The biggest concentration of malt-kilns was alongside the canal where there were five. There were a further six along Gateford Road and four more along Eastgate and Potter Street.
Worksop and Retford Brewery Company came into existence in 1881 after the amalgamation of Smith and Nephew and the Priorswell Brewery Company.
Brewing was done at Priorswell Road and the building stood until 1962.
A brewery at Retford, which was also originally part of the Smith and Nephew business, was closed but Retford was still included in the company’s name.