Monday 11 July 2011

News - Community honour (Richard Dodge)

A MEMBER of Eastwood’s Royal British Legion has been awarded for his outstanding work in the community.

Richard Dodge, who worked tirelessly to help restore three war memorials, was one of just 11 people county-wide honoured at Nottinghamshire County Council’s Local Improvement Scheme (LIS) award ceremony.

Mr Dodge said: “I’m delighted to accept this award on behalf of my colleagues at The Royal British Legion.

“The funding that the Local Improvement Scheme has given over the last seven years has been invaluable and as a result we have helped restore many of the county’s memorials to former glory.

“I’ve been only too happy to help with research and to access records needed for plaques and dedication boards.

“I think the greatest pleasure is when families have a chance to pay their respects at the newly restored or newly created memorials – they really do appreciate the work that has gone in from all involved.”

The ex-town councillor spent several years researching the names of soldiers missing off Eastwood war memorial with the assistance of Rita Restorick – leading to the re-dedication service last August to officially install the 62 new names.

He also worked hard to restore Worksop and Colwick war memorials that were in a state of disrepair.

But Mr Dodge added: “My research on the Eastwood War Memorial still continues though because I still have not been able to identify the exact service personnel listed on the obelisk as Henry Anthony and James Ford, even though I have traced many servicemen with these names from the First and Second World Wars.

“Once I have identified these two named servicemen I will be able to complete a Memorial book I am putting together for the people of Eastwood. “

If anybody has any exact information on these two servicemen, you can contact Mr Dodge by email on valandian@ntlworld.com or by mobile on 07958 516130.

No comments:

Post a Comment