Tuesday 1 March 2011

News - Heritage Ambulance Society shows off its vehicles in Arnold

BELLS ringing and caps doffed, the four men from the Ambulance Heritage Society parked their vintage vehicles and opened them up, revealing a treasure trove of decades-old stretchers, oxygen masks and other unrecognisable medical equipment.

"We think we've got the largest collection in the country," said Trevor Handley, a retired ambulance driver from Eastwood.

"It's our history and our heritage and we need to look after it."

The Ambulance Heritage Society collects and restores old vehicles and medical equipment. It comprises 14 members, most of whom are retired ambulance men.

They have 32 vehicles; 16 are roadworthy and are taken to rallies and events.

It was all started by one man in 1983 – to win a bet.

"I worked at King's Mill station and we had this old vehicle," said Jack Cheetham, 71.

"Before I started working in the ambulance service, I'd trained as a mechanic, and one of the other guys at the station bet me that I couldn't restore it and drive it to a rally in nine months' time.

"I told him that if I didn't do it, I'd stick my bum out of the window. Luckily, I managed to finish it."

At the rally, the newly-restored 1950 Austin Welfare was admired by people from the Red Cross, who gave Mr Cheetham a vintage bell and litter, and the Ambulance Heritage Society was born.

Their vehicle collection now ranges from a 1938 ambulance, to a canvas-covered military ambulance used in the Second World War, and a paramedic's motorbike from the 1990s.

"I just like old vehicles and I take pride in seeing something that is in a bad condition being restored to its former glory," said Mr Cheetham.

"A lot of the men in the group have retired and they'd go crazy without it.

"It gives us all something to do and helps to keep us in touch with the ambulance service."

The group meets twice a week to work on the vehicles.

It typically takes around seven months to restore one, but they have been working on one ambulance for 13 years.

The group is entirely self-financed, although they do receive donations from the East Midlands Ambulance Service and other services across the country.

Members pay a monthly contribution to the society, but at around £2,000 to buy a vehicle, let alone the cost of repairs, parts and authentic paint, it can be an expensive hobby.

Steven Brinke, 54, who worked at Arnold and Eastwood station and is now in ambulance logistics, has been a member of the society for 15 years.

He said: "The costs can add up but I just love it so much.

"The Morris was the first ambulance I ever drove, so I always try to make sure I end up driving that."

The group keep their vehicles in two barns, which they rent from a farmer in Papplewick, but they are putting together a bid for a Heritage Grant to try to create a museum of their collections.

"At the moment, the public can only see the vehicles when we take them out to rallies and events in the summer," said Mr Handley.

"We get a great reaction from people, so we desperately hope that we get the funding so we can have the collection on display all year round."

No comments:

Post a Comment