Wednesday 20 April 2011

News - Pete’s 200 mile challenge (Woodsetts War Memorial)

A WOODSETTS walker is trekking the width of the country to raise money to restore a local war memorial.
Caretaker Pete Lemon will take on Alfred Wainwright’s famous coast to coast trail, covering some 200 miles in just 10 days.
“I am doing the walk to raise money to refurbish the war memorial at the side of St George’s Church,” said Pete.
“It needs quite a lot of work in order to bring it back to its former glory.”
Seasoned walker Pete will be setting off on his mammoth solo journey on the Tuesday after Easter from his starting point of St Beas on the West coast of Cumbria.
His route will then take him through three national parks as he journeys across the Lakes, through the Yorkshire Dales and into the North York Moors before finishing at Robin Hood’s Bay on the east coast of Yorkshire.
“I do walking as a hobby and have been doing it for a long time,” continued Pete.
“I’m 59 now, but I’m still aiming to do it in the 10 days and I am very determined that I will finish. I’m a very stubborn person and when I say I’m going to do something, that’s it.”
Although unofficial, the coast to coast Walk uses public rights of way and is one of the most popular of all the long-distance footpaths in the UK.
In 2004 it was named as the second best walk in the world according to a survey of experts.
As well as training hard Pete has been busy getting sponsorship before his challenge, and has had a good response from people living in the village.
“It’s been great so far, but I want to raise as much as we can,” he added.
There are sponsor forms at various places around Woodsetts including St George’s Church, the post office on Lindrick Road, the newsagents and Flavours Cafe on Worksop Road.

No comments:

Post a Comment